Call Us On 0207 152 4473

For a FREE Hair Assessment Call

PLEASE CALL 0207 152 4473


I'm a woman and I'm losing my hair

25 Aug 2009, by Admin in FEMALE HAIR LOSS


What can you do if you’re a woman in your forties and your hair starts falling out? Dr Mark Porter

Q Is there anything that can be done to help women who are losing their hair? I’m in my forties and am a bit thin on top.

A The first step is to find a reversible cause for your hair loss. Iron deficiency and thyroid problems could be to blame. Telogen effluvium — where large numbers of hairs suddenly shift into the shedding phase — is another cause of thinning. Stress and severe illness can trigger this, but having a baby is the most common example.

Falling hormone levels after the birth mean that all the hairs that would have been shed during the previous nine months fall out at the same time. Fortunately, it is only temporary.

However, your loss is most likely to be due to androgenetic alopecia — an inherited hormone-related form of hair loss. Although widely known as male pattern baldness, the condition is also common in women, in whom it tends to cause a generalised thinning over the whole scalp, with as many as one woman in three in their thirties, forties and fifties affected to some degree.

There are possible treatments such as the anti-androgen cyproterone acetate and the lotion Regaine, which is available without prescription. Around half of all Regaine users can expect to see some improvement, but any extra hair growth tends to disappear if treatment is stopped.

In order to treat hair loss effectively we would recommend that you have a diagnosis made as soon as possible by one of our experienced Westminster Trichologists. Stress can be an aggravator in almost all cases of hair loss and an accurate diagnosis will always, at the very least, take some of the stress away from you.

Gary Heron says: “You’ll have access to the most effective treatments available through The Hair Centre and at a fraction of the cost of going to other Private Commercial Clinics and Centres.”

When it’s time to see the Trichologist: If you begin losing hair rapidly, and or are cosmetically concerned about baldness, consult your Trichologist about treatment options. You can receive a free hair loss consultation with a Westminster Trichologist at our Hair Centre.

The point is that you are not getting to the real problem and you should seek specific professional advice from a Westminster Trichologist.

Do you have Hair Loss Problems, read our Hair Loss Help


Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.